Monday, December 19, 2011

I'm sorry you're so poor. We're fighting poverty! So can I have $50?

Share on Twitter:


Cue mini-rant because I'm kind of just... incredulous:

That awkward moment when an activist group supporting the Occupy Wall Street protests and the 99% asks for a minimum $50 donation… for a bumper sticker. Donate $1,000 and get an autographed book

While I obviously understand why organizations need donations to continue their work, and while ultimately, those funds are (hopefully) going to actually help to resolve the issues, I have to wonder if they ever see the disconnect between what they do and what they ask of their supporters.

If I’m part of the 99%, why would I waste a needed $50 on something like that? If I HAD $50, why would I give it to you instead of spending it on groceries or things I actually need to survive? If I’m supposed to be protesting against wasteful and corrupt financial practices that have left OUR pockets and bank accounts empty, what makes you think I would even consider giving you my money too? I really want to know. I thought you already understood that most of us don't have it. What makes you think I have that much to spare? Or that we should at a time like this? Wouldn't you rather advocate that we save it, in that case? I would.

I could understand asking for maybe a $10 donation. And yes, I understand how asking for donations works. Door in the face technique, start with something high and work your way down, hoping someone will give at least something. But when your cause is something related to financial hardship, and your email is flippantly talking about money like it's nothing... If you're just babbling about how everyone should donate at least $50 if they really care, or how real activists should give thousands of dollars to the cause, it just comes off as insensitive and inconsiderate.

Alright, I have work to do... and I just found out some rather sad information and now I have to figure out how to deal with it. [sigh]

No comments: