Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Later...

Share on Twitter:

10 years...

I couldn't sleep. I feel like I'm 12 again: just days before my 13th birthday, struggling to make sense of the world -- and my place in it. Again, I don't know what to say. It's one of those days where I know I'm going to feel sick and I want to say things I can't. No politics. Same as last year, same as every year before. But without that shield, without that defense mechanism... 

10 years marked by so much pain.
 And incompetence. And racism. And religious intolerance. And war. And so much death.

And sometimes I wonder if we do forget that those are causes of this pain too. Not just the attacks themselves and those we lost, but the reasons for it. Why it happened. I don't think we understand. I'm not sure we ever could. But I think, in order for us to move forward, as a nation, we need to make a greater effort to try. I think that would be a greater justice to those who have died, in the attacks and in the 2 resulting wars, than blind hatred and more death and destruction. I know... I know he wouldn't have wanted that.

They may be gone, but we never forget them. We never forget what they mean to us. And we never forget what humans are capable of doing-- ourselves included. Work for peace, not just for justice.

RIP. We miss you.

No comments: