Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Obama Signs DADT Repeal Into Law | TPMDC

Obama Signs DADT Repeal Into Law

WOOT! WE DID IT! It's official- DADT repeal is law. Now the question is, how long will it take until we truly see the end? The military is supposed to stop discharging LGBT soldiers within 60 days of the bill's signing, but there are some practical concerns that have to be addressed as well-- benefits packages, housing of families (& apparently other living/shower arrangements? I don't think there's a real need for that.) recognizing marriages and civil unions, etc. I see a lot of new paperwork in their future... But it can be done, and it will be done, and then we can get back to work on DOMA, and ENDA, and equal pay for women. (I went off on a mini-rant when Obama started talking about how men and women are treated as equals in America. I'll believe it when I see it. [Just as a note, I do not identify as a feminist. I'm an egalitarian. And I'm going to backtrack and delete what I was about to say, because I'm getting way off topic, and heading into the "off-limits" zone...])


So TL;DR: DADT has been officially repealed, but we're still waiting for it to really end. Still, progress is progress.

1 comment:

D.A.K. said...

Oh, P.S. - in the spirit of teh tru interwebz, for TPM's facebook "recommend"/"like" button - FIRST! lol