Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reactance...

So anyone who knows me knows all too well how stubborn I can be, especially when it comes to fads and the latest trends. If I like it, it's all well and good, but if I don't... Expect all hell to break loose. I was into the eco-friendly thing long before the current Green Movement. It drives me insane (mostly because of all the lies... Stupid capitalism turned something good into a money-making scheme of lies... as always...) I was hacking and downloading on the internet before I even knew what it was (I was like 6 at the time. I just really wanted access to something and nothing was going to stop me. I'm still stubborn and impatient like that ^^") When Harry Potter came out, and the Dan Brown books, I had started them prior to the major social boom, so I ended up being a part of the fad. O well, they were seriously worth it. If I'm addicted to something the first time I see it, then whatever, I like what I like. But now... It's scary to see how mindless people become. I wonder, was I like that? Fads are terrifying. No one has a mind of their own anymore. No one has their own opinions, likes or dislikes - dislike and you're out of the club. And we all know how important it is to feel like you belong.... (Damn you, Maslow!!!)

I react in a very strange way to fads now. The psychological term is reactance - a strong emotional response in opposition to something perceived as a threat, to put it simply. (It's how reverse psychology works. I tell you not to do something, you want to do it more.) I see something that threatens my individuality or my right to an opinion, I hate it. If everyone else is doing it, I want to do it even less. I don't want to like it either. It's not even about not being like everyone else. Non-conformity is a painfully unavoidable type of conformity...

I'm just sick of it all. Youtube (I didn't have an account for like 2 years after it all started. I preferred Veoh. Still do for the most part - it has full length movies that I often can't find anywhere else...); Twitter (a stupid site for Twits as we say here at uni), vampires (seriously, one fucking shitty book and the whole world goes crazy. Harry Potter was an international phenomenon, but the rest of the world didn't feel the need to turn everything into magical series... Have we no individuality in this country???), I could go on forever... (And you all know well and good I could very well do so, LOL...). It's so annoying - like everyone's vocabularies shrinks to 4 or 5 words. There are so many other things in this world!!! Yes, I dare to say it - there's more to life than Twilight!!!

I hate fads for the same reason I was agnostic all through high school (& now an atheist) - I want to find the truth for myself, not because someone told me what & how to believe. So it is with a heavy heart and open mind that I will torture myself for 2 hours and watch the goddamn movie -_-"


...Maybe. Probably not though.

No comments: